The bee’s knees buckwheat salad
Buckwheat is a pseudo grain, and although it has the word wheat in it, it is in fact gluten free. In addition, it is also a rich source of plant-based protein. This salad is the bee’s knees and everyone who has a helping of it wants a second.
For the Buckwheat:
- 1 cup of uncooked buckwheat
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt for cooking brine
For the rest:
- 2 carrots, peeled, quartered, and then dice thinly
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely
- 10 Medjool dates, de-pipped and chopped into small pieces
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated finely
- ¼ cup of finely chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
Combine the water, 1 teaspoon of salt and buckwheat in a pot and bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and allow a further 12 minutes of cooking. Take it off the heat and let it sit with the lid on for 2 more minutes, then drain any excess water.
Prep the carrots and spring onions and set aside.
In a large bowl combine the cooked, drained and slightly cooled buckwheat with the carrots, spring onions, coriander, grated garlic, cumin, olive oil, dates, vinegar, and salt to taste. Stir though well and allow to cool at room temperature and then serve.