I love butternut soup and this is my favourite version. Perfect for a rainy day, and it can easily become vegan friendly if you don’t garnish it with yogurt and cheese. This soup is also perfect as part of a detox if you exclude the cheese and yogurt.
Serves 4 -6
- 1 large butternut, peeled, cubed & deseeded.
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 large brown onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Butter or coconut oil to fry your onions in
- 1 heaped teaspoon of each of the following: cumin, paprika, turmeric, coriander, mild masala.
- To garnish: grated mature white cheddar, live greek yogurt, fresh chopped coriander. Pink salt and black pepper to taste.
- Fry onions until soft and golden
- Add spices + garlic and fry lightly for a minute or two.
- Add cubed butternut and stock and let this doup cook slowly for about 45min to an hour. Then just pop your hand blender in the pot and whizz up into a silky smooth soup, or if your prefer a less smooth texture mush it up with your potato masher.
- Then serve in a bowl and dress with yogurt, cheese and coriander and enjoy. This lovely little soup is very good as a starter or even a light dinner.
Happy cooking, with ♡ from the yoga kitchen.