Sunday morning oat-crumble ~ Serves 2
Although this oat crumble may feel like having pudding for breakfast, it still packs a powerful nutritional punch. I use gluten free whole rolled oats which is wonderfully gut-healthy, as is cooked apples.
- 1 teaspoon of butter, for coating the baking dish
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup of raspberries fresh or frozen (but blueberries will work too)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn-starch
- 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats, divided
- 2 heaped tablespoons of unbleached wheat flour (for a gluten-free option you can consider using buckwheat flour, but any GF flour will do)
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (muscovado works well)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 4-5 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Butter a small oven proof dish and set aside. Then switch on the oven – setting the temperature at 160 degrees Celsius.
Sauté the apple on low heat in a little butter for about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
Crumble: Add all the crumble ingredients to a bowl, and using your fingers work the butter through the dry mixture.
Now add the berries to the cooked apple, as well as ½ teaspoon of sugar and the cornstarch, and then sir through well.
Transfer the fruit mixture to the buttered oven proof dish and then top with the crumble mixture – transfer to the pre-heated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with thick coconut yoghurt or a drizzle of cream.