This Vegan Risotto is pure umami, and can be 100% gluten free if you only use buckwheat. I used both barley and buckwheat and the texture was delightfully chewy and the flavour delicately moreish.
Did you know the buckwheat is actually a seed and not related to wheat at all, and as mentioned above entirely gluten-free. In addition its packed with the amino acids; lysine and arginine, both which has wonderful benefits such as reducing anxiety and lowering the stress hormone, cortisol, increases collagen production, and can also help lower the risk getting cold sore breakouts if you are prone to them.
Shiitake mushrooms is a superfood of note, compounds of this mushroom may help fight cancer, boost immunity and support heart health.
Not to mention all the wonderful fibre this meal offers for your gut microbes. So this one is a winner for your taste buds as well your health. So without further ado, the recipe:
Nourishing (vegan) Risotto
- 1/2 cup of pearled barley
- 1/2 cup of hulled buckwheat
- 2 cups of liquid in a stock form – used Kallo mushroom stock
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried onions
- 1/4 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon or more sea salt (to taste)
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/4 of cold pressed olive oil
- Soak the buckwheat and barley for 5 hours, then drain and rinse well.
- Now add the pre-soaked and drained buckwheat and barley to a pot, along with all the other ingredients and bring it to a simmer, stirring frequently and adding more liquid if needed.
- Allow it to simmer for at least 40 minutes – then take it off the heat and let it cool for a few minutes and then add the olive oil and stir through, and then serve with some diced spring onion and lots of ground black pepper.
Happy cooking and nourishing 🙂
In dedication to your radiant health