This spiced vegetable and chickpea stew reminds me of a cosy winter afternoon in a bowl.
As always, this is a very simple one pot meal to make. The chickpeas, along with a helping of brown basmati rice makes this a plant protein powerhouse.
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cups of cubed pumpkin
- 1 cup of shredded kale, tightly packed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato paste
- ½ cup of water
- 1 heaped teaspoon of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of allspice (optional)
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Serve with well-cooked brown basmati rice
Start by getting your basmati rice cooking. Setting it aside with the lid on when done to keep steaming and fluff properly.
In a deep saucepan or medium sized pot fry the diced onion until soft & translucent. Then add the pumpkin cubes, season with salt and continue sautéing the pumpkin & onion mixture for a further 5 minutes.
Next add the chickpeas, kale, all the spices and tomato puree, sugar and water – seasoning once again with salt now – then give it a good stir through before turning down the heat, placing the lid on the pot, and then leave it to simmer slowly for 45 minutes.
Then serve with a little salad on the side and a helping of brown basmati rice.
Wishing you radiant health and kitchen contentment ahead,